Thursday 26 June 2014

The Most Important Man In My Life

That was the main reason my long-term relationship broke up. I'd fallen in love with someone else. Love at first sight, I didn't even think that existed: I'd asked him to marry me and let me carry his children within 10 minutes of our meeting. It didn't matter that I'd been living with someone else for five years. It didn't matter that I didn't know his surname at that point, or his age, or what he did for a living. I just knew that I loved him more deeply than anyone I'd ever loved before.

He, however, had a girlfriend he was relatively faithful to, and my feelings weren't reciprocated - in fact, to this day, he probably thinks that I was just drunk (I wasn't) - so nothing happened that night. Except for me laying the groundwork, nothing happened for another two years.

Three years later, carrying his child, whilst still in the same stagnant relationship, I realised the guy I'd fallen in love with was far from the ideal man. He'd decided the best way to handle my pregnancy was to ignore me. Ironically, it was my partner who talked him round, and bought him back into my life. And how… to this day, neither he nor my then-partner will tell me what was said, but he came back into my life loving me as much as I loved him. I didn't even feel the pain of leaving my eight year relationship behind, and to be fair, neither did my partner. I'd found true love, and I was happy like you couldn't imagine.

The cracks began to form so quickly. He was young and lost in the world, trying to make his way. I remained pretty sure of my place, established and confident. He was a realist; pragmatic and practical. I was a dreamer; spontaneous, impulsive, with my heart clearly worn on my sleeve. He was the most talented composer I'd ever known, but he had no love for music... could there have been a clearer sign than that?

For five months none of this mattered. Then, when I lost the baby: everything mattered. I'd already lost my brother, and my father had died just a week before. Suddenly, he'd become The Most Important Man In My Life.  When he failed to live up to my expectations of that role, I made him jump through hoops to prove that he loved me, even though I always knew he did. I chipped away and chipped away at him until what was once the purest love turned into a chaotic dark energy. It was destroying both of us.

He made the break. I spent the best part of a year in physical pain and psychological torment, blaming myself for what had happened. Recovery was slow, and it was only through blocking him from every aspect of my life I managed to heal. Then, just a few months ago, I decided I was healed enough, and I let him back in, as a friend.

Every single thing I posted on Facebook, he 'liked'. When I left Facebook, the emails started up again. Eventually, I started writing back. It felt comfortable - comforting, even. There was calmness between us that had never existed before. Every word was like a reassuring hand on a tired shoulder; friendly and encouraging, with nothing hidden between the lines.

I had no intention of meeting up with him when I was in Stockholm last week, but in the end, we drifted together.  Without even realising it, we recreated our first date - we ate in the same restaurant, we went to the same bar, then we sat outside the library, smoking cigarettes and talking until the sun reminded us it was time to part. 

I wasn't in love with him anymore, and he wasn't in love with me anymore, but I love him more deeply than anyone I've ever loved before. And although we'll never be together in any other sense again, he is The Most Important Man In My Life. There isn’t a thing he needs to do to prove himself. I know he feels exactly the same way.